Monday 9 May 2016

A colourful day trip to Burano

I love visiting new places, and even though I had been to Italy once before my recent trip, I had never been to any of the islands around Venice.  The perfect day trip from Venice is Burano, which is only around an hour by ferry.  This colourful fishing village would be a dream for any photographer with its brightly-painted houses, cute flowerpots sitting on window sills, and lines of laundry blowing in the wind.  Burano has picturesque wooden bridges and sunny canals which make it the ideal place to stroll around.  The island is famous for lace, which you can find while window shopping in the small souvenir shops that line the canals.


There are a number of restaurants to choose from, especially of the seafood kind.  We visited a family-run restaurant called Da Primo.  We ate at a table outdoors, perfect for people watching.  The service was excellent and we all enjoyed our food.  With most of the items on the menu being seafood, I was able to get a simple pasta with oil and garlic.  It was so fresh and delicious!  For dessert I couldn't resist getting tiramisu after seeing other people eating it around me.  I was not disappointed!


If you're looking to get away from Venice and see something new, I would highly recommend taking the boat over to Burano for a day.  We loved it so much we didn't want to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment