Tuesday 18 February 2014

RIP Flappy Bird



Over the holidays I was looking for a new game for my Iphone.  I searched the top free apps and came across "Flappy Bird" which was the #1 game at the time.  I downloaded it and quickly became frustrated.  It seemed near impossible to play.  You tap your finger repeatedly on the screen to make the Flappy Bird flap its wings and fly through pipes.  Don't hit a pipe though or Flappy Bird will die!  The first bunch of times I played I couldn't even get past the second pipe.  Why do people play this game?  The graphics aren't good and it's ridiculously hard.  I made a mental note to delete the game soon, but somehow found myself coming back to it, determined to succeed.  My high score was 6 for quite a while until one day I cracked 10, then into the 20s, and then the 30s.

Interestingly enough, this game was invented by a Vietnamese guy and it's quite popular here among the students at our school.  I can hear the "ding ding ding" of the Flappy Bird fly through pipes during the halls at recess time.  My students have high scores in the 50s and higher.  Currently I'm sitting at a 39!

Since Flappy Bird became a worldwide phenomenon, you would think that the creator would be thrilled.  In reality it was quite the opposite.  Flappy Bird has been pulled from the App store and is no longer available for download.  The reason?  The creator was concerned that too many people were addicted and he did not want his game to cause problems for people.  Now that it is no longer available, apparently people are trying to sell their phones that have Flappy Bird already installed on them.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I still have Flappy Bird on my phone and can continue to play and drive myself crazy until I bring myself to delete the app!  Flap on, Flappy Bird...

2 comments: