Saturday 9 August 2014

Farewell, Saigon

Just like when I left my job teaching English in Korea, the feeling was bittersweet.  Saying goodbye to Vietnam, my home for the past three years was harder than I thought.  Actually, I didn't think I'd feel emotional about it at all.  In my mind, I thought I was ready to leave.  I actually said to myself on more than one occasion in the last few months that I couldn't wait to get out of the country.  On a cab ride back from a trip to D1 in the final weeks, I suddenly felt overcome with sadness.  HCMC was a city I had grown to love.  Upon arrival, I wasn't convinced that I'd love living there.  It was chaotic, crowded, noisy, sweaty, dirty... Slowly, my opinions changed.  I'm not sure when or how, but I began to see past the traffic jams, clusters of power lines, slums, and busy markets with funky smells.  HCMC was more than just motorbikes and pho.  The city is very much alive with a personality of its own, and if you bothered to look, you would be amazed at what you would find.  Hidden temples, cafes, and tailor shops are around every corner.  There is a little bit of everything for everyone who visits here.

However, living in HCMC for an extended period of time isn't for everyone.  It can be stifling in more ways than one.  The heat can be unbearable for some people, but I learned to appreciate it.  Likewise, I also have a new appreciation for air conditioning.  With over 9 million people living there, the crowds can also take a while to get used to.  Personal space?  Forget it.  When you're in a busy market shopping for fabric or designer knockoffs, you're bound to rub shoulders with somebody, literally.  Pushing people and Canadian manners aside becomes a necessity if you want to get anywhere.

Upon first glance, the motorbike traffic can be daunting.  With time, I could understand and appreciate the organized chaos that takes place in the streets and roundabouts of Saigon.  The first time I rode on the back of a motorbike to D1 was exhilarating. With a city that huge, it is impossible to see it all - but little by little, you can uncover some hidden gems that will become your favourite hangouts - the places where you go to shop, eat, people watch, or just ponder life.  Making the city your own will make it that much harder to leave when the time comes.

The hardest part was leaving our friends and co-workers there.  When you are away from home, your friends become like your family.  They are the people you share everything with.  They are the people who understand the joys and frustrations of living in another country.  They are the people that make you feel at home in your new home.

So why leave?  That was the question I asked myself when I began to feel sad about packing up my life and moving away from the city and friends that were special to me.  I was moving based on my own choice, so if I felt sad about it, shouldn't I stay?  Sometimes you know the answer but can't explain it, and this was one of those situations.  I knew it was time to leave but couldn't fully explain why.  Time to move on to new challenges professionally?  Move on to new travel opportunities?  Move on to new life experiences?  It just seemed like the right time.

When I watched the twinkling jewels of Saigon city lights beneath me as our plane took off, I couldn't help but feel nostalgic about the past 3 years.  Will I be back some day?  Probably, but who knows when.  Vietnamese people never like to say goodbye, they like to say hẹn gặp lại which means "see you again."  So
hẹn gặp lại Saigon, it's been real.



1 comment: