Saturday 27 August 2011

School Daze

The past week has been a blur ... so many things to do in such a short period of time!  Setting up the classroom proved to be a challenge since there were not a lot of resources left in my classroom from the previous teacher.  I've made due with what I have and survived the first week of teaching (only a 3-day week)!

I have a Vietnamese co-teacher, Ms. Hong, who is really nice and helpful.  Since there are a lot of students in the class, I'm pretty thankful that she is in the room with me.  The first couple days have been fun but challenging.  There is a lot of work to be done with establishing routines.  I have students from 7 countries in my class - Vietnam, Korea, Sweden, Venezuela, Taiwan, Switzerland, and Canada.  Most of the students are Vietnamese.  The English level ranges widely, as there are kids who are strong at speaking and then others who don't speak at all.

One thing I really love about the school is my co-workers.  People are really friendly and willing to help out in any way they can.  I'm glad I got to meet all these people... :)

Staff photo taken by the school photographer


After a day of teaching 19 grade one kids, I feel so exhausted.  Luckily next week is another short week!  Due to a holiday on Friday, we'll have a 3-day weekend.  There are plans in the works to go to Mui Ne, a beach town several hours away with massive desert-like sand dunes.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely "Class picture"...do you get a copy or will they put it in a yearbook? It is great that all of the staff is so friendly...that makes such a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! Be sure to post pictures of this beach destination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if we get a copy of this photo but it will likely be in some sort of yearbook. It was 248972398472 degrees when this photo was taken. We were standing on the steps for a few minutes but I was dying!

    ReplyDelete