Thursday 1 September 2011

7 days down, 173 to go!

The first 7 days of school are finished.  I've been a lot more exhausted than I thought I would be at this point.  Teaching full time is definitely a challenge.  Grade 1 is tough because all the kids are coming from kindergarten, where they apparently get 1 hour naps after lunch!  I've had a lot of kids tell me they feel tired and want to go home when the afternoon hits.  We're not in kindergarten anymore, kids!!!

This week was only 4 days, and last week was just 3 school days.  We have a long weekend now due to the Vietnamese National Day tomorrow, which means it's time to peace out of Saigon and head to the beaches of Mui Ne.  I love living in HCMC, but it is very chaotic and in-your-face.  There are motorbikes everywhere (including on the sidewalk!) but I've gotten used to it.  I'm looking forward to heading to a destination that is more "chill."

We ended up renting one of the school's buses for the weekend which will take a big group of teachers to Mui Ne (pronounced like "mwee nay"), a coastal town on the South China Sea, for 3 days.  Mui Ne was one place that John and I did not get to visit on our travels in Vietnam last year.  I regretted not going there, but now am thrilled that I have the chance to go!  There are massive sand dunes near the city similar to what you might find in a desert.  You can even do sand boarding down the dunes!  I'm excited to go here and explore a new destination.

Our school also has one week vacation in October, so more trip plans are in the works.  I'm hoping to score a cheap flight out of Ho Chi Minh City to anywhere!  I would love to visit Bali or Thailand again, or possibly try some place new.  What I love about living in Asia is that there are so many airlines and so many destinations just a short plane ride away.

For now, I'm off to Mui Ne tomorrow... stay tuned for the next post about my long weekend there!

2 comments:

  1. AS ANY EXPERINCED TEACHER KNOWS, THE PRIMARY GRADES ARE NOT ONLY EXTREMELY IMPORTANT BUT USUALLY WHEN SOME CHILDREN DISCOVER THAT SCHOOL IS NOT JUST ABOUT PLAYING WITH FRIENDS AND WORKING IN AN AFTERNOON NAP... IT MEANS LEARNING HOW TO READ AND WRITE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have deserved your vacation! Make sure to post lots of photos and go sandboarding for me lol

    ReplyDelete