Monday 26 May 2014

Reading recommendations

Even though times have been busy lately I forced myself to start reading a book my friend Jess recommended to me - The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.  It's the true story of her life growing up in a dysfunctional family and how together with her siblings, how they dealt with living in poverty with neglectful parents.  It's a sad story with a somewhat happy ending.  You will not believe the things she went through and how she ever managed to become a successful best-selling author.  The story is being made into a movie starring Jennifer Lawrence.

Also recommended if you like The Glass Castle is the book by Canadian author Wally Lamb - She's Come Undone.  I read this one last year and it isn't exactly a new book, but it reminded me a bit of The Glass Castle because it is also about a female protagonist who grew up with many struggles.

Hopefully I can keep the reading going... I have a stack of books waiting to be read on my bedside table plus plenty more on my Kindle!  Have you read any good books lately?


2 comments:

  1. It is important to keep a good library of books on your night table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend "Matched" by Ally Condie, if you're a fan of sci fi . It is the first in a series of three.

    ReplyDelete