Sunday 7 April 2013

Shoo, flu!

I am finally starting to feel better after missing 3 days of work dealing with the annoying "flu."  Some friends were sick, it was going around, and unfortunately I caught it.  Tuesday was the Longest Day of School Ever.  Having a fever when it's already 35 degrees Celsius outside isn't pleasant.  But then having chills when it's 35 degrees outside isn't either! 

Now that all my body temperature has regulated itself and all the aches are gone, I am just left with this annoying cough.  Instead of popping cold meds, I decided to try a few "natural" remedies to see if they worked...

Remedy #1:  The secret tea

My friend Greg was also sick with the flu and unable to sleep.  His family told him about a special recipe that could help... boil 1 can of coke (really), along with lime and ginger in a pot, then drink.  It sounds weird, but it doesn't taste bad!  He said that he drank it after some sleepless nights and had the best sleep of his life and felt better.  I thought it would be worth a try.  I drank this stuff and went to bed early.  I sure did sleep well... so well that I thought I slept through the entire night with the flu (a miracle?) but then when I woke up my clock said it was only 12:38am.  Maybe it was the caffeine that then caused me to be awake for most of the rest of the night.  Partial fail.  I wish I could have kept sleeping!

Remedy #2:  The mystery elixir

Ok, this one is just kind of weird.  Normally I wouldn't just take something like this, but I thought "why not."  John received a mysterious elixir from a Korean student (those Koreans always know what is good for your health).  The bottle says it's made in New Zealand, with all natural ingredients.  The doctor who invented it has a degree in Medicinal Herbology from Quebec (random!) ...  They have a website that you can even buy the stuff through, so even though the bottle looks weird it seems legit.  This product claims to "soothe and support deep bronchial health and the removal of mucus."  Apparently it's an excellent elixir for smokers too, so it says on the bottle.

Anyway, I took a shot glass full of this stuff before bed one night, and it tasted horrible!  It was like drinking Tiger Balm.  My throat immediately felt cool and then the coolness spread to my ears a bit.  I slept the whole night through, and in the morning, I woke up with no coughing.  SUCCESS!  This stuff is magical... when the cough later came back, I just drank some more and it goes away.  This product contains a bunch of herbs, oils, and other items... including cayenne, ginger root, licorice root, cedarwood, eucalyptol, jojoba, juniper, lemon, menthol, peppermint, pine, rosemary, sea salt, and "UV light-treated rainwater," among many other things!


There you have it!  Now that I'm feeling better, I can get on with things.  Shoo, flu... don't bother me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment